Earlier this week I discovered a new favorite recipe; a few modifications to a classically delicious dish have made a healthier and tastier meal. The problem I’ve always had with enchiladas is the way the tortillas always get soggy… I have remedied that issue without sacrificing any flavor.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4-5 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (cut into small pieces)
- 1 large can (28 oz) of green chile enchilada sauce (I used Las Palmas brand)
- 3 cups grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- 3-4 Mission Carb Control Wheat Tortillas (sliced into 2-3 inch strips) (These are great and have only 3 net carbs!)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the chicken pieces in a small amount to olive oil in a pan until done (~5-7 minutes).
Remove the chicken and put it into a 9X13 baking dish.
Top the chicken with the enchilada sauce, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper, then one half of the cheese.
Sprinkle on the tortilla strips.
Top the dish with the remaining cheese.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Some additional notes:
- I believe it is EVEN BETTER leftover!
- It is also delicious with some homemade guac.