This is another long-time family favorite. It is a fairly easy dish to make, but it takes time and planning since the marination process takes 24-48 hours. The recipe originally calls for the chicken to sit in the marinade for 24 hours, but I have discovered if you let it go for 48 hours it is even better.
2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup (or more) pecan pieces or halves
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 onion (yellow or white – chef’s choice)
8 Tbs oil
1 Tbs chopped garlic (garlic powder works too)
2 Tbs corn starch
1 Tbs soy sauce
½ tsp salt
1 egg white
3 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
1 ½ Tbs sugar
1 ½ Tbs vinegar
¾ cup chicken stock
3 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs corn starch
Cut chicken into 1-1.5” cubes, place in a plastic bag (or bowl with a lid).
Mix all marinade ingredients together then add to the mixture to the bag with the chicken.
Stir together, then place in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours.
(Occasionally mush/stir the contents of the bag to insure even marination.)
Toast pecans in the microwave for 4-5 minutes.
Cut peppers and onion into ½ inch squares.
Use 2 Tbs of oil to stir fry the peppers in a pan or wok (don’t over cook them), then set them aside.
Use 4-5 Tbs of oil to cook the chicken until white, then remove from heat.
Mix the peppers, onion, pecans, and chicken together in a large serving bowl.
Mix ingredients for the sauce together.
Heat 1 Tbs of oil, add the sauce mixture and stir until it thickens.
Remove sauce from heat and pour over the chicken, pepper, onion, pecan mixture.
Fold in the sauce.
Serve and enjoy!
– This recipe is low carb and could be made keto if you substitute another thickener for the corn starch.
– This recipe makes lots of leftovers, but it is even better left over.
– You can use any combination of bell peppers that you want (red, yellow, orange, green).
– Any oil of your choice works: olive, vegetable, coconut, sunflower, grapeseed, peanut…
– Leave out the chicken and add mushrooms, water chestnuts, and baby corn for a yummy vegetarian option.
– You can serve this with white or brown rice if you want.