This is a really easy recipe I made up a couple of years ago. When making it the last time so that I could share pictures with readers I realized with just a few modifications it could be made Keto, or it could be made into sandwiches – like Sloppy Joes.
I’ll start with the recipe as is, because it is dang delicious, then share my thoughts on the alterations that could be made.
Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
2 lb ground beef
1 pkg bacon (I personally prefer Wright’s brand bacon)
1 jar queso (I think the On the Border brand is seasoned perfectly)
1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 pkg pasta – rotini or penne (my favorite pasta brand is Dreamfields)
- Preheat your oven to 300ᵒ.
- Start by cooking your bacon. You can either cook it in a pan, air fryer, or oven.
(If you go the oven route put foil on your pan before you put the bacon on it in a single layer (the foil make clean up easier). Cook the bacon on 300ᵒ for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and) Set aside to cool.
- Brown your ground beef, breaking the pieces up into bite sized pieces as you cook it.
- At the same time, get the pot of water on the stove for your pasta to cook.
- If your cheese is in block form, go ahead and grate it.
- Once the water pot is boiling, add your pasta and cook as directed on the box (usually around 7 minute).
- Once the ground beef is browned (strain it if there is excess grease) dump it into a big mixing bowl. Chop up the bacon and add it to the beef, and add the jar of queso. Go ahead and mix the contents of the bowl.
- After you have drained your pasta, add it to the big mixing bowl, and fold it all together so that everything is well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 X 13 pan. Smooth it out evenly, then top it with the cup of cheddar.
- Place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Remove it from the oven and serve.
If you love your burger all the way, make sure to prepare a side salad to accompany this casserole so that you get your lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, mushrooms, etc.
1 – To Make It Keto – simply leave out the pasta.
2 – To Make It a Sloppy Joe – leave out the pasta and serve on buns.
3 – To Make It Hot – add jalapenos.
4 – To Make it Leaner – substitute ground turkey or chicken breast for the beef, and turkey bacon for the real stuff.
If you try this recipe, drop a line in the comments to tell me which version you made and what you thought.